Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Reflection 4


The Students:
I have now had the opportunity to visit two middle schools. I know it must sound cliche' but I don't ever remember being so young. It amazes me how these kids, these youth are the same age I was when I came to so many realizations about life. It further amazes me that they too are more than likely going through the same things that I was at that age.

They have so many trials and adventures ahead of them, and yet here they all are at this moment in a classroom learning about how to work shop equipment. As they look to their instructors you can see the wheels turning as they excitedly grasp the concepts that are taught. They run to try the next task that is presented to them. Was I really this eager to learn and experiment at that age? Their minds are so pliable to the world around them. They pick up difficult tasks without a second thought. What are we teaching them? And should they be the ones teaching us?

The Professors:
I was also amazed that both of the instructors that I got to view had about 40 kids in each period. They all look to these instructors with trust, and neither teacher would disappoint. They both managed to keep the kids attention and respect the entire time. Although their methods were very different, they both seemed to be effective teachers and instructors. One was very militaristic, the other was sensitive yet commanding. The one common element seemed to be love and respect. And both teachers indicated the fact that you cannot be the student's buddy right off the bat. Perhaps in time they MIGHT see you as a pal second, but always as a teacher first.

High School Expectations:
I'm excited to see what happens in the High Schools now. It seems that unless I want to become a keyboarding/technology teacher who spends half his time teaching in a shop, I will be teaching High School. There is very little demand for middle school Video Production Teachers, and since I'm not really that into woodworking... Looks like I'm High School Bound.

No comments:

Post a Comment