Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Reflection 3

Mindtools and Teaching

What person among us when they had to teach just popped in a video when they ran out of ideas? I know I've had my fair share of the classic "movie-filler" but what does that really help a student?

Our mindtools reading brought up some interesting points of conflict with what I've always felt were effective teaching techniques. Even step by step instructional videos and powerpoint presentations seem to be less effective teaching techniques.

My mindtool example revolved around an old instructional CD that came with my old Windows 95 computer. It was a simple enough program; you had two colored circles on your screen, the Earth and the moon. The learner could then adjust the moons' trajectory and momentum. It was difficult to get the moon into an orbit around the Earth without either crashing it into the planet or sending it hurdling off into the depths of space.

This game really helped me to understand gravity, inertia and trajectory. Though it was a simple game, it was able to put the knowledge in my hands so that I too could understand a very difficult concept.

Tomorrow we're going to visit our first Middle School. I have no idea what the instructor will expect of us, or if he/she will even acknowledge our presence. Will we all spend the entire time sitting in the back of the classroom? Will we be asked to pass out papers? Or will the teacher put us on the spot to do something that we weren't expecting?

No comments:

Post a Comment